Sunday, November 24, 2013

Two Thoughts on Loot

On from my player Alex:
WRT magic items; I feel like one thing we may be missing on the ladder to domain level is selling off some of the bling...
And damn if he isn't right.  We ended up with a veritable armory of swords +1 in the last campaign I ran, and in Alex's game last semester, we were so loaded with swords that we stacked a pair of +3s...  on a henchman (admittedly, we had next to no fighters).  A sword +1 resells for 5kGP, +2 for 15kGP, and +3 for 30kGP and XP, all of which add up quite nicely when your party's collection of magic swords gets to the point where you need a wiki page to keep track of them all.  The "sell before use for XP" rule makes a lot more sense when PCs actually, you know, sell magic items...

The other thought: as I'm rolling up things that treasure maps point to, I've hit a number of fairly serious magic items.  Permanent effect, trope-bearing, multi-use stuff.  And I had a good laugh at myself when I had the thought that, "You know, a ring of wishes would be less trouble, since I can more-or-less count on them burning it out fairly quickly for avarice, rather than it becoming a long-term source of non-XP power."  Still, it'll be interesting to see some powerful gear other then the boring old Sword +n in PC hands, and they do still have to do the dirty work of finding it...

No comments:

Post a Comment