Well, this was going to be a post on this thread, but autarch's forums are 504'ing me again, so it's going here instead. As context, there's been some discussion of cherry-picking spells for custom divine classes, and how it may cause the Divine value, particularly from a +divine race like divine elves, to be too small for what the class is getting. Hence, for the development of my own divine elf classes, I wanted to build a list which captured 'elfy' divine spellcasting and would constrain me from going out and stealing arcane spells.
Thematically, this list captures the following capabilities:
- Elves are good at fixing people. Stabbed with a morgul-iron blade? They have a spell for that.
- Elves know things beyond human kenning. The list has a lot of divination as a result. Also read languages, glyph of warding, ESP, speak with plants and animals, eye of the eagle, and tongues.
- Elves are enchanting in their natural beauty, and as a result can charm, enthrall, and inspire others. However, they prize free will, and as a result lack access to 'direct' enchantments like Command and Hold spells (some academics hold that it is not moral opposition but their essentially fey and fickle nature; a prank is no good if the target lacks the agency to bring about their own downfall)
- Elves are attuned to nature and natural forces, and are at home in the wilderness. They can speak with, summon, enbiggen, and command animals and plants, as well as controlling the winds and creating fog. They're also sneaky in the wilderness. They avoid fire and lightning, however, as these threaten their natural habitats, and they find indiscriminate destruction distasteful and lacking in finesse or grace.
- Elves are the favored firstborn children of celestial powers, and as a result have power over light and can repel creatures of darkness and provide protection to others.
1s (need to prune a few of these to get down to 15):
Cure Light Wounds
Locate Animal or Plant
Pass Without Trace
Protection from Evil
Purify Food and Water
Salving Rest (the canonical 'hang out in Rivendell for a week and you feel much better' spell)
Chameleon (gotta have some way to make those cloaks and boots...)
Cure Moderate Wounds
Speak with Animals
Cure Major Wounds
Eyes of the Eagle
Glyph of Warding
Growth of Animals
Sphere of Visibility
Cure Serious Wounds
Prot Evil Sustained
Speak with Plants
Spirit of Healing
Sticks to Snakes
Cure Critical Wounds
Create Food (sprinkles seeds on the ground and asks them politely to grow)
Growth of Plants
Restore Life and Limb
Strength of Mind