- Long-Range Sensors are going away. The math didn't work on them properly, and they were going to be the next "Just Too Good" thing.
- Carronade is going away. There was a fun hack with it that I found where you could use a range 9 carronade on a thrust 6 ship and have it actually cost less than a range 6 weapon, despite being strictly superior. There's no fix except a total rebuild of the ship pricing rules, and since dual-mode weapons can now have different ranges between their modes, its primary intended use in AE is gone. Hence, no more Carronade :(
- Double, Triple, and Cata damage have been clarified to not be any more effective against fighters than normal weapons causing the same number of hits (ie, one double damage hit against a fighter flight causes them to be damaged, not destroyed outright). This is analogous to AE impact / damage against fighters. These traits have gained a pricing discount as a result.
- Scouts upgraded - If you have one Scout per 400 points of fleet, all enemy ECM values are reduced by 1. This has the potential to reduce Scout's uselessness against a fleet with no Escorts, but is also useless if they have no ECM. Scout ships also become high-priority targets when used in this function, which is nice.
- New weapon trait - Pinpoint. Pinpoint weapons ignore the -1 penalty for firing at fighters, drones, mines, and seekers. It's the old anti-fighter trait, basically, but less expensive. Perfect for all your point-defense / CIWS needs.
Cricket has also relented and created a shipbuilding subforum, so I have yet to determine whether to just post my BFG conversions there and link from here, or to double-post. Remains to be seen.