Likewise, the publishers of RQ6 have put out a free supplement on the topic of firearms, ranging from muskets to lasers. Overall it's pretty well-done. Dodging bullets is impossible, getting hit with them is bad for your health, suppressing the enemy is good, and cover is your friend. Before I go into my concerns, I'd like to emphasize that on the whole, this thing looks very usable, and I suspect that RuneQuest With Guns would do WH40k tabletop better than Dark Heresy, despite both being percentile systems.
So, points of contention:
- I'm under the impression that bleeding to death is one of the more common ways to die of a gunshot wound if the initial shock doesn't kill you, which makes the removal of the Bleed special effect from firearms somewhat curious. I guess that's just rolled into inflicting major / serious wounds?
- Drop Foe special effect seems really ridiculously good. I'm not all that familiar with the psychological effects of getting shot, though, so might be that that's how it actually works.
- I'd've built burst fire differently,. The first shot in a burst is no less accurate than a single shot of semi-automatic fire; recoil only affects the later ones (unless you flinch preemptively, which you shouldn't! Do as I say, not as I do, though I'm getting better). As a result, assigning a difficulty mod to hit with the burst as a whole seems curious. Since RQ already has the elegant Special Effects system, I'd rather see "burst hit" as a special effect, usable only when firing on burst, that lets you hit with an extra bullet to a random hit location (stackable, to a max of number of bullets fired in the burst). So if you pull a critical hit with a three-round burst, you can hit with all three bullets and still have one effect left over to make one of them a headshot or something. If you fire a three-round burst and only get one special effect, maybe you choose something other than the extra hit.
- It also irks me that the current burst / auto mechanics mention that suppression is one of the purposes of those fire-modes, and yet suppression (in the form of Pin Down effects) is harder to achieve with them than it is with single-shots because of their difficulty modifiers! Fix: make Burst Hit a special effect and provide a penalty to Willpower rolls against Pinning caused by burst or auto. This also has the advantage of providing something to do with a low-effect burst other than hit with a second bullet.
- Any time you go assigning damage numbers by pistol calibre, you're going to spark holy wars. I don't have a strong opinion here, but I don't think I would've gone into that level of detail.
- No modern armor to go along with the weapons?